We wish to thank everyone who made out time to participate in our just concluded Drug Discuss in Kaduna State.
The event was attended by over 70 attendees who actively contributed to the discussion on how to address the menace of drugs in Nigeria.
In attendance also, was Her Excellency Hajiya Aisha Ummi Garba El-Rufai, wife of the Executive Governor of Kaduna State.
Highlight of the event are as follows:
1. All participants agreed to the fact that ever individual, family, group or community have roles to play in addressing the drug issue in the country, and promoting overall mental health.
2. Launch of the SAVE OUR LOVED ONES (SOLO) campaign by H.E. Hajiya Aisha Ummi Garba El-Rufai. SOLO Campaign is a Public Health Campaign with starts families and communities on the path to a healthier future for the younger generation. This campaign has been established with the core objectives of: 1. Promoting awareness of Drug Abuse 2. Promoting knowledge of Drug Testing Services 3. Increasing access to treatment and rehabilitation services.
3. H.E. Hajiya Aisha Ummi Garba El-Rufai became the first Ambassador of the SOLO Campaign. She led by example by obliging to undergo a Drug Test at the program. The result came out negative.
4. Participants agreed that our ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU (APLY) program; a comprehensive youth drug prevention program that addresses mental health, drug abuse and sexual abuse, should be incorporated in primary and secondary schools in the country. Her Excellency confirmed she will facilitate the move with the government and organise a meeting with the state government to ensure that this is done.
5. An establishment of a working group comprising of parents who see the need to have a parent program established, with the aim of getting parents actively involved in the upbringing of their child, as a deterrent to drug use.
We believe that little drops make an ocean. Together, we can win the fight against drug abuse and secure a healthier future for the younger generation.